Monday, February 7, 2011

Romantic at heart

Tata was to come back from Australia after all most four and half years.He regularly wrote letters to Ammama.I remember he asking amma to buy a sky blue sari and wear it when she came to receive him at bombay airport.We went and bought a cotton sky blue with delicate white boarder.We went to one of our friends house (Mr.Sonavane)I think Nanimama and self and ammamma went,do not know why aigo and r`mavshi did not come.

6 comments:

  1. I think Mr. Bhide accompanied us. I remember we stayed at the residence of USHA ( her father Kulkarni used to be Principal in Parbhani).

    When Nannagaru and Amma took Ramapriya for a small operation to Bombay they took Chandu and you all stayed at Sonawane's place.

    They left me and Chitti with a Andhra Family( they lived on the other side of the railway gate near the station). Chitti cried and cried and was inconsolable. However the family, especially their daughter took great care of us. She used to play with us and sing songs for us.
    One song she sang for Chitti was like the noise the train engine made:
    Dal tho bhee dallo Naitho
    Khaddu tho bhi chillo naitho
    Thu tho bhi karo naitho
    Mujhe tho bhi karne naitho

    ( or something like that)


    She would sing faster and faster like a sppeding engine ...:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow NM! What a memory! I can imagine Ammama in a blue sari. She loved Lavender/Mauve sarees.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Nani Great memory, I do not remember my stay in Bombay with Ramapriya.How do you remember the Lyrics even.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow nanimama amazing memory! I wish we had pictures of all these scenes - especially ammama in the blue sari waiting at the airport - I wonder if they hugged when they finally met or was it more subdued.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Of course they did not hug.I really cannot remember Amma tata displaying affection publicly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. During the 3 years Tata was away a LOT happened in Poona. I can not imagine how AMMAMMA or TATA endured the hardships.It must have been very hard.

    There was a major major flood in Poona after heavy rains. The Khadakvaasala dam was bombed to save Poona - from a sudden surge had it burst on its own.

    The whole of the area we know in Poona was under water and the house we lived in was totally submerged.

    when Tata left we still did not have a place to live....initially it was in a hotel in Poona, then in an apartment, then with one Deshpande's etc etc...till the Deccan Gymkhana house was found.After the flood Bamma gary took us to Agricultural college for a while. Those were very insecure days.Baamma Garu ( Baba's Mother) took Ammamma under her wings then. She gave Ammamma support and courage - the kind of which I can never imagine anyone doing now. We basically survived those days because of her and of course Dr. Bhide used to watch over Tata entrusted the responsibilthe family quietly. He was entrusted the responsibility by Tata to give money in a timely manner to Ammamma.

    At that time I was young and immature. couldn't adequately comprehend the situation.

    One can only imagine how worried Tata must have been...trying to study and complete his PHd thousands of miles away, at the samme time thinking and worrying about his family ....a family he deeply loved and had brought up in such a very protected way.

    ReplyDelete